Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

Is Hypnosis safe What does it do What doesnt it do

Is Hypnosis safe? What does it do? What doesn't it do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
In general, I believe hypnosis can be a very safe & therapeutic technique. The only people who should not try hypnosis are those with amnesia related to past abuse or trauma. Many people with amnesia try hypnosis to try to recover their memories but instead end up with false recovered memories (events that never really happened).

I consider hypnosis to be a form of formal relaxation therapy (especially once you learn to hyponotize yourself). By formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. All these methods basically help people learn to enter deep states of relaxation & promote emotional & physical well being.

Rarely, people even without abuse histories can experience some anxiety or panic symptoms when experimenting with these methods. This is not a severe reaction and goes away completely. If it does happen, it is either a fluke...or it means the person should try a different form of relaxation therapy.

Hypnosis can help anxiety, depression, smoking, and other conditions.

Here are some other links which can be helpful:

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information. Good luck & take care.
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using