TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I think that I have OCD. Have been having thoughts of hurting

I think that I have OCD. Have been having thoughts of hurting myself, dog, others but I know that I would never do it. What should I do? See the doctor - don't want to go on medication. Are there self-help books?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I'd like to ask a few questions so I can provide the best answer possible.

What symptoms are you having that make you feel you have OCD rather than depression?

When did your symptoms start?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not depression - I am always in a good mood and upbeat. When I am at work and have scissors in my hands, I have thoughts of stabbing myself but my logic comes in and when I am with my dog, I have terrible thoughts of hurting her. It started along time ago - my first thoughts and only thoughts were when I was with my mom, over her house for dinner - if I had a knife in my hand I would think about hurting her but would never do it. She has schezophrenic paranoia but is not on medication. Is this hereditary?? My mom is not on medication because she is in denial. I haven't told anyone not even my boyfriend.

Schizophrenia can be hereditary, but symptoms almost always start in the early teens or young adulthood. Onset of schizophrenia in later years is almost unheard of so it is highly doubtful that is what you have.

What you described does sound like mild OCD. It would be a good idea to see a therapist just to get a diagnosis, at least. A therapist can do a complete evaluation to determine what your diagnosis is and what treatment would benefit you the most. There is medication that can help as well. However, you are under no obligation to accept any type of treatment. But a diagnosis would at least give you an idea of what you are dealing with. Here is a link to help you find a qualified therapist:

There are ways you can help yourself at home to counteract the thoughts and work towards feeling more in control.

Here are some resources to help you:

The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder by Bruce M., Ph.D. Hyman and Cherry Pedrick

Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts: How to Gain Control of Your OCD by Christine Purdon and David A. Clark

Getting Over OCD: A 10-Step Workbook for Taking Back Your Life (The Guilford Self-Help Workbook Series) by Jonathan S. Abramowitz

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Here is a link to a very helpful guide online:

I hope this has helped you,