Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

I currently take firocet for migraines which are no doubt from

I currently take firocet for migraines which are no doubt from stress for the past 30 years. I am considering taking Effexor for hot flashes. Will effexor interfere with fiorcet? Also, I have a script from my ob for effexot but it is 75 mg. Can I start out with this high dosage?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
There is no known interaction between fioricet & effexor. Any time you start a new medication you want to be careful & monitor closely for any possible side effects.

As far as dosage many people do fine starting at 75mg of effexor. I usually prefer to start patients at 37.5mg for 1 week and then increase it to 75mg as long as there are no problems with the initial dose. Rarely I start patients at an even lower 25mg). If I have a a patient who is severely depressed & usually handles medications ok, I may be more aggressive & start them at the 75mg dose.

If your effexor isn't the XR version, you can cut it in half for the 1st week. If it is the XR version you shouldn't cut it in half; either start with the 75mg dose or call our OB to see if she would prescribe you some 37.5mg tablets to start with.

Keep in mind that effexor is not FDA approved for hot flashes. There have been studies showing that antidepressants can treat hot flashes. And I'm not trying to scare you...most doctors including myself prescribe medications for reasons that they are not officially approved for...but it's good to be an educated consumer as well.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using