Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

I am in the process of recovering from a mixed episode that

I am in the process of recovering from a mixed episode that has been present for about 8 weeks. I take 400 mg of Lamicta and had an increase in Seroquel from 200 to 300 mg daily as a means to "break" the episode, but I've still had residual symptoms of delusions (never experienced before) and residual thoughts of suicide though back to the point that these thoughts are really leaving my mind. My question is how long before I feel less vulnerable and fearful that I'm not ever going to get back to stability? I have a wonderful psychiatrist who I've seen weekly and she checks in with me every night. I'm disappointed that I'm not back to full speed and would just like some sort of time frame to expect.

Just to clarify - I'm in no way suicidal - these were just fleeting thoughts that came up during the most intense few weeks.  The delusions were related to infidelity fears regarding my husband of 24 years - which proved to be unfounded

The best indicator of how long it will take to recover from this episode is how long it took you to recover from the last mixed episode you had. Another clue would be how long it took you to recover from any previous manic or depressive episodes (especially if this is your 1st mixed episode). The average time to full recovery is in the range of 2 weeks to 2 months (in severe cases it certainly can take longer).

The good news is that you are doing many of the best things possible to heal: taking meds, seeing your psychiatrist, psychotherapy, & exercising. The more different treatments you pursue, the quicker you will heal.

You could also consider increasing the frequency of psychotherapy (you would need to discuss that with your own therapist). In general, I advise weekly psychotherapy...unless you are doing CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and doing various homework assignments in between sessions.

If you are getting really frustrated, you could discuss med changes with your doc (like continuing to increase the seroquel). The advantage of being a little aggressive with med changes is quicker control of symptoms...the down side being increased chance of side effects.

I also recommend learning some formal relaxation therapy, which are techniques proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function. By formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

And remember you can't separate emotional health from physical health, so besides exercise, nutrition is vital.

There are also several self-help books you can read which will help.
1) "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" by Deepak Chopra, 2) "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David D. Burns; 3) "The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression" by Mary Ellen Copeland and Matthew McKay, and 4) "The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook" by XXXXX XXXXX.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using