Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi, I have a history of depression and anxiety and now am

I have a history of depression and anxiety and now am have pure "o" symptoms..being that I think unwanted violent thoughts and some unwanted sexual thoughts. I was laid off almost two years ago and do not have health insurance. My anxiety is out of control because of the unwanted thoughts and stress...please help! is there any free help out there?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

You can try your local community mental health center. They will do an evaluation and offer treatment, usually outpatient therapy, for a sliding fee scale. They can also assist you with applying for financial help and/or health insurance assistance.

The community mental health center can also provide a psychiatrist to help you with medication. Even if you are already on medications, they can evaluate you and determine which, if any, medications can help you control your symptoms.

You can also help yourself at home. Here are some resources that you can start with:

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Edmund J. Bourne

The Everything Health Guide to OCD: Professional advice on handling anxiety, understanding treatment options, and finding the support you need by Chelsea Lowe

The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder by Bruce M., Ph.D. Hyman and Cherry Pedrick

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I find that when I try to surpress the thoughts that actually works better for me than allowing them or accepting them. the thoughts actually disgust me to the point that I didn't eat for two weeks. but alot of articles say to try to accep teh thoughts and to not give them importance..but to me they are absolutely disgusting and i can not accept them or even think them for one second to disgard them.

will medication make the ocd thoughts stop?

Yes, medications can help. Medications that are in the SSRI group, including Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac and Anafranil have proven effective in helping OCD symptoms. Other medications are currently being tested and may be available soon.

Another site that may be helpful to you for more information is:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/obsessivecompulsivedisorder.html

It is not uncommon for people with OCD to be greatly distressed by their thoughts. Although accepting them seems appalling, remember they are just thoughts and cannot hurt you or anyone else. Keep reminding yourself of that fact. And continue to educate yourself about anxiety related to OCD. The more you know, the less control the disorder has on you.

Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one last question...how does ocd just come out of no where...when i think back on it..i def had symptoms like 6 years ago but i dismissed them and it never became an issue and then last october out of nowhere i had these horrible thoughts..and ever since then it's been down hill. i am committed to kick this stupid condition. and i believe that is what it is-a condition. i refuse to believe that i will be strapped with this for the rest of my life. it's too unbearable.

Usually, OCD is a genetic disorder that results from lack of serotonin in the brain. It would not come on suddenly but much like you experienced. The difficulty comes when the anxiety comes into play. It then becomes a cycle of anxiety and thoughts produced by the OCD.

It is commendable that you are willing to fight this condition the way you are. People with that type of commitment and determination are usually very successful.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.