Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

hey im 19 i alweys had a problem getting excited about things.

hey im 19 i alweys had a problem getting excited about things. im not even sure what excited is. when im presentet with doing somthing i can't say i ever felt excited about it.
I just feel that its maby going to be funn and be like okey il go. mostly i stay home.

the same thing about work its importen to feel excited about it apperently but i just can't get excited about it. i might loose the job after a while because of that but thats okey il have plans for that. i dont have much emotions in general tho. my mind mostly drift around in fantasies while i work.

if someone asked me whats the thing i been most excited about. i dont think i could answer that casue im not sure what it is.

soo how to i get into things i mostly get very into things but i well only watch videos/anime/read manga and play games. have a server with a cuple of friends and such. play rebal/paintball somthimes but i dont really get excited about it. its just alitle funn.

maby its cause i alweys been a very litterly thinker it is what it is.

i think it would be good for me if i could get excited about work tho or school but i never been able to.

im maby alittle diffrent from most people my age like i dont want to have a GF now cause all relationships at this age are just temporarly and people dont seem to know em self. or are just after funn in relationships soo i planed to wait until im 23 pluss or somthing like that.

altho i know its a good to have the experience.

its not that i have little money and life is crap everythings good really and i have alot of money.

i basicly have my intrest inside one area wich i mentioned. soo im better at typing english then my own language.

people think i am a big zombie somthimes because im not in a hurry if we gotta make somthing or seem energized about the event.

when i was in school teachers alweys told me it was going to be soo much better when i got it and such feeling the motivation and excited about it. but even when i did great somthimes it just was what it was. a good grade from some work.

and i never had any goals in my life exept to just enjoy it and have funn.

1 of my friends tries to get me excited about stuff all the time. also lost one friend cause im alweys just like cool and not pumped and excited about it.

and i havent goten around to take the driver licens yet ether because i think its soo incredibily booring to drive and can't say i feel exited about controling the car paying constant attention to whats happening around you instead of rellaxing on the buss/sleeping. and its much more expensive to have a car and its not like i travel around alot. but at the same time i know its a good thing to have somthimes.
can be usefull in some jobs aswell. altho i ofcourse would prefer a job where i never had to drive.

and when i dream in my sleep i never have emotion in the dreams ether. and alweys been like that. after i got awaken once when i was 9 from a dream where i fell of from a clip. it was like i just learned my brain right there and then its just dreams. because after that when i die in dreams or what insane crazy things happen il just watch it.

and i never get angry at people almost. it would be more then someone calling me names and such. dont see why care.

soo now i said alot about some stuff about my emotion. some alitle unusual things maby some of this can help in seeing why i never get excited about stuff wich is an importen part in work of life. (some jobs atleast in my case)

or learn alittle more about my self. beacuase of the people that gotten sad or angry at me because i dont build upp my emotion or get excited. some people also got angry because the way i think. and it dosen't often help to say its just my opinion about stuff when people first get angry.

besiede i my self belive i can't change but its alweys worth looking into.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

From your description, it sounds like you might be dealing with depression. A blunted affect is usually a sign of depression. It sounds like you may have a chronic, low grade type of depression called dysthymia.

Dysthymia is a depression that is characterized by consistent feelings of lack of interest, low productivity, low motivation and low self esteem. A person can do enough to get through life, but is not motivated to do more than that. It also explains your lack of excitement for any of life's challenges. Here are some other symptoms:

Loss of interest in daily activities
Feeling sad or down
Hopelessness
Lack of energy
Fatigue
Low self-esteem
Trouble concentrating
Trouble making decisions
Self-criticism
Excessive anger
Decreased productivity
Avoiding social activities
Feelings of guilt
Poor appetite
Overeating
Sleep problems

You can have some or all of these symptoms.

It is important that you consider an evaluation by a therapist or at your local community mental health facility. They can provide a diagnosis and a treatment plan to help you cope with your symptoms. Usually, individual therapy and a mild anti depressant can help you recover enough to begin enjoying your life.

You can also work on this issue at home. Here are some resources to help you get started:

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You by Richard O'Connor

The Half-Empty Heart: A Supportive Guide to Breaking Free from Chronic Discontent by Alan Downs

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah i think you might be right alweys felt abit wierd like when people ask me stuff. when they say hey its just like meh. but i know it could be funn aswell. even tho i dont feel anything.

well my grandma and brother is depressed its more like sosial phobia with my brother tho. but i dont know soo much everythings kind of secret in my family. dont really get to know if theres somthing wrong with others in family.

i tend to have upp and down episodes tho. where my mood goess down for a while like a week maby then it goess upp again. usaly a good while. a month.

soo if theres a chance i have this i probly had it my whole life.
had this feeling in my chest very long its like somthing heavy. and yeah i do have some of the symtoms.
i also have celiac wich i probly went some years without getting diagnosed.
just read that its more like to have it if you had a physical desis.

It sounds like an evaluation is especially important if you have a family history of emotional issues. Finding out what you have will go a long way in helping you to seek the right kind of treatment and help you recover soon.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist