Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

two weeks ago i was at the hospital and i was not that sickto

about a month ago i was hospitalised but was unfortunately placed in a ward of the terminally ill, which i did not qualify to be in. while there i saw many people die and no pre-cautionery measures were taken to calm us. since then i have been living with the fear of dying and people always dying in my presence and the funny thing is that i can't get the thoughts out of my mind. everyday i have flashes of all those women dying and every time it happens i become scared. i can't even sleep at night becaues i think i am going to wake up dead. that experience has also brought me the fear of ever lying in hopsital bed again.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
i still haven't received an answer yet but my credit card has been debited with the R181.00 i would have to pay if i'm satisfied.
Expert:  Norman M. replied 5 years ago.

You appear to be suffering from a severe form of anxiety state.

It can best be dealt with by a combination of proper medication and a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

The first thing you need to do is to see your Doctor – he will give you a full diagnosis and if appropriate, start your on a suitable anti-anxiety medication.

Don’t be afraid of taking medication – it could really help turn your whole life around.

When you are on medication, you must take it at the correct dose and as prescribed. It is no use missing doses or messing around with the dose.

I mentioned CBT - is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Make the first step NOW – get an appointment with your Doc, and you can start to get better.

You’ll also find some very good help here:

South African Depression and Anxiety Disorder
Location: Various cities
Contact: Lynda Woods, 27 11(NNN) NNN-NNNN [email protected]
Details: They run a telephonic counseling service from an office in Johannesburg, Monday through Saturday. They have a network of 175 support groups across Southern Africa (South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho).