How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have suffered from treatment resistant major depression and

Customer Question

I have suffered from treatment resistant major depression and anxiety for over 15 yrs. I can take a drug (or combination of drugs) that will help for a short period of time but eventually stop working and have to start the process over again of finding another drug that will work. Just had 8 ECT treatments but had to stop due to increased anxiety. Currently (and have been for many years) taking klonopon (sp?) for the anxiety. After those treatments I tried MAOIs but had to stop due to extreme side effect of nausea.
My current psychiatrist is considering the fact that I may have been misdiagnosed and actually have bipolar disorder. I am now suffering thru the 2 weeks I have to wait to begin taking other antidepressants after stopping the MAOIs. After the ECT treatments I began having itchiness all over and every doctor I see seems to come to the conclusion that this is due to anxiety. My psychiatrist suggested to take the Klonopon in lower dosages throughout the day. This is not helping and situation is getting worse. This itchiness is my main concern today and am looking for suggestions to help this. Prescription drugs, natural remedies, anything??? Thanks in advance for your help. If you need email address it [email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about your problems. Have you thought of seeking out another opinion to see what another psychiatrist suggests. Someone who is well known to do only psychopharmacology. Call your local hospital and get connected with the psychiatry department and ask them for a referral.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not accept the answer because I feel like it was evident from my question that I have already been to several psychiatrists and none have been helpful. In addition in my experience it takes a long time to find another one that is taking new patients and then quite some time before I can get an appointment. I thought I made it clear itchiness is big concern and is very disruptive to my life and was looking for your opinions on what might be causing this.

Related Mental Health Questions