psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

Dont know why cant I open up with new people

Customer Question

Hey, I am the kind of person who is nervous when he goes into new places and once he gets used to that places, he is free now and no more nervous. Same is the case with humans, when I meet new people, I take lot of time to open up and as the number of new people increases, I feel little more nervous and more time it takes me to open up with them. Everybody says that I am silent.Right now I am in a such a situation that I dont have any friend with whom I can share my feelings, I become depressed lot of times. I also feel nervous for everything I do, inside I think that I will do something that makes me feel stupid and if somebody laughs at something, I feel that he is laughing at me.So what do you think is the problem with me. What should I do to solve my problem.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you have some social anxiety issues. It is common to find new situations and new people scary but then finding comfort in the familiar. This person can feel that people are laughing or judging them. This limits the amount of friends you make or the depth of their friendships. The person feels self conscious at times like they are clumsy or stupid. This situation can be treated successfully by a counselor first. You can learn strategies to help you transition to social situations without the fears that you have now. If that is not successful alone then you can find a psychiatrist that can give a medication that helps those with anxiety immensely. this has a very high success rate. You will begin to view social situations in a more positive way

If this was successful press accept

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does a counselor do? what can be the total expenditure of treatment?
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
A counselor would do behavioral therapy in the hope that you wouldn't need medication. She/he would teach to identify situations that make you anxious and how to change your way of thinking so that you be part of many situations that now you find anxious. Cost is about $50 per session and this may be very brief. If you want to see a psychiatrist for medication you could do that too. This will be like seeing your doctor and cost is when you the doctor but you wouldn't learn behavioral methods. It's up to you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so are they going to teach me the methods of behaving in a social situation where I am afraid of?
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
yes