Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

hello. in late jan. of this year i had a panic attack. i have

hello. in late jan. of this year i had a panic attack. i have always had panic attacks. i have went into a depersonalization mode and i have been stuck in it for three months. i have had ringing in my ears among other noises now that im getting checked into. i only sleep about 6 hours a night. usually waking up for a few minutes with headaches and decongestant. i have been everywhere. mri, nuerologist, ents. i need to get out of the depersonalization mode. it only makes things worse. its a scary feeling. how do i deal with this. the headaches have been constant and i havent slept good in three months. can you help me with my approach to my doctors about sleep apnea or anything to point me in the right direction. anything would help thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

Panic attacks usually originate from anxiety and the best approach to treating panic attacks & anxiety is a combination of medication and talk therapy. You didn't mention if you've tried talk therapy so far. If not, I would strongly encourage you to consult with a therapist especially one who has a specialization in treating Anxiety disorders. Here is a directory you can search for therapists in your area who have that specialization.

Your sleep issues also likely have a psychological root so talk therapy should help to address that as well.

I hope this was helpful.

Please do let me know if you have questions/thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Arundhati
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i do. i just feel like it is more then that. i wake up and i cant breath i am highly congested. i have tried a little talk therapy. im going to look into seeing someone again soon. and ihave tried everything in the last three months. its like one day i woke up and i wasnt myself
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i do. i just feel like it is more then that. i wake up and i cant breath i am highly congested. i have tried a little talk therapy. im going to look into seeing someone again soon. and ihave tried everything in the last three months. its like one day i woke up and i wasnt myself. i let my anxiety get so bad. and when i wake up i usually fall right asleep. but still its taking its toll
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
and the ringing has turned into many noises. try explaining that to people without them wanting to lock you up.
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The ringing in your ears could be a separate medical issue. I would encourage you to consult with a ENT. You did mention that you've already seen an ENT, if you did that in the last 3 months and got this specific symptom checked out with him/her then it is likely not a medical concern. In that case talk therapy is recommended. You'll need to allow at least 10-15 talk therapy sessions in order to start seeing improvement so I'd encourage you to be patient. But I hear your frustration and am confident that your psychosomatic conditions (i.e. arising out of psychological reasons rather than medical ones) will respond positively to talk therapy treatment.

I hope that was helpful.

Please consider clicking on Accept as experts are not credited for their time or service otherwise.

Kind Regards,

Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author