Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

When we were married my wife was really ready for sex anytime

When we were married my wife was really ready for sex anytime now her son (35) is having problems with his X and she is depressed about this and has just given up on sex.Is there anything I can do to help her and us?
Hi, If your wife is depressed it is probably not all due to her son's situation. I would suggest that in addition to just listening to her you tell her that you are very concerned about her and would like her to see someone who can help her feel better. Tell her you will go to counseling if she wants you to go with her. If you can get her to see a doctor and diagnosed then medication can be started if that is deemed necessary. Sometimes talking to a therapist is just as helpful. You take care of the immediate situation then you can approach the sex issue. If she is menopausal that can have a huge impact on libido and her gynecologist can help her sort that out. I hope this helps. Please click accept and leave feedback.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you please give a little info on menopause ?
Hi, I can however there is more information than I have room to write, so you might want to explore further using the internet. Many women when going through menopause have a decrease in libido, feel depressed and it has many causes, most hormonal. That is the reason speaking to her gynecologist is advised. This doesn't usually come on quickly, you may find over the course of months, years there are subtle changes and they are normal for some women, others may not exhibit any clearly defined "symptoms". She may have been feeling "low" and when her son had a "situation" it was easy to associate her depression with his problems. Again, tell her you are worried about her but you aren't a professional and urge her to start with her gynecologist and then a therapist (which her doctor may recommend). Please click accept and leave feedback.