Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

my stepdaughter as i have told you guys has invited us to her

my stepdaughter as i have told you guys has invited us to her son's birthday party and after a nasty email from her accusing me of wanting her mom and dad back together (my husband) after 28 years of marriage to him, my oldest son is going to the party and I asked him not to give out any information about us as my step-daughter loves to know any thing financially about us. his reply was to keep him out of this, well i have but i am pissed off because she always gets inbetween my kids and me. Why doesnt she leave my family alone it always causes me heartache with me and my kids because i don't tell them stuff and she looks like the good person when she really is a pain in the butt i like this advise program and plan on signing up every month.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, I can help you today. In your previous questions you made a comment about how your step-daughter treats her own mother but her mother accepts her behavior. If this is the type of person she is, then you have to realize that no matter how much you try you will get nowhere with her. That being said you are "allowing" her to piss you off and come between you and your kids. She knows it and she thrives on it. You don't have to say anything to your sons. You take the high road, you don't vent her nastiness to your own children so instead of getting pissed, realize and tell yourself that she is not worth you getting upset. I know it's hard but you need to not take anything she says or does personally. Stop trying, she isn't changing. I would go so far as to suggest that you go next time there is a party or invitation. Hold your head up high and don't give into her drama. Don't give her another dime either. She is a "taker" not a giver, probably always will be. The more you let her piss you off the more she will. If she sees you are not buying into her demands she will be flustered and not know what to do, she may then find someone else to harass on a daily basis. You'll be off the radar to her. Try it and see. Please accept and leave feedback. Sorry I missed you in 'chat" feel free to respond.