Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

What can I do if my husband disagrees with me or underminds

Customer Question

What can I do if my husband disagrees with me or underminds me in front of our child? As a result, when I am asking my son to do something that he doesn't want to do, like go to bed, he wants daddy. My husband's father was not a good father so he is over the top with everything when it comes to my son including judgements on my behavior with our son and will correct me or compromise my position when I am trying to establish boundaries. What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
You have a couple of options. 1) Let him handle all of the discipline and you take a back seat. 2) You tell him in no uncertain terms that his parenting skills are horrible and that you will now take control of all parenting decisions. 3) The two of you talk to a neutral person (i.e. pastor or therapist) and explain the situation and maybe he will get some understanding from a third party.