Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

This evening at around 10pm Jaelynn, my 3 year old daughter,

This evening at around 10pm Jaelynn, my 3 year old daughter, did something that was very strange. I heard her crying upstairs so I went to check on her. She had fallen asleep in front of the door so I couldn't open it right away. I worked my way into her room and she was crying, I could not console her. I held her in my arms and tried to sooth her, but she was flailing around so much I felt I should put her down. I laid her on the bed and she was thrashing about crying as if she were having a seizure. To this point the room was dark. I turned on the light and tucked her under the covers to try to keep her safe (holding her down inside of the blankets). Her "seizures" continued, her eyes were closed, and I was wondering if she was even awake. After about 1-2 minutes tucked under the blankets, she calmed down and relaxed. She was clearly asleep in seconds. I don't know if she was ever awake or not.  The whole episode lasted less than ten minutes.  My question is "should I be concerned?"  "Is this normal?"  My wife and I adopted Jaelynn when she was 10 days old.  Her mother was a drug attict and had overdosed the day Jaelynn was born.

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

Hello ....I think I can help...This sounds like a night terror. They are common at her age. Have you ever seen one before?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Was she asleep?

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

I am pretty sure that is all it is. Yes they don't wake up and do not remember it the next day. But they may recur and can go on for about a year. Sometimes they can look quite frightening...like "the exorcist" people say.

Customer:

That is what I would say. It was terrifying. Do you know of something I could read that might help me understand better?

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

Here is the NIH fact sheet:

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

If you search night terrors...there is lots but this is from a reputable source.

Customer:

Thank you. I will read this carefully. At what point should I be worried?

Customer:

You have been very helpful. I have already begun reading and feel better about the episode. This online service is very much appreciated. Have a good night yourself.