TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am struggling with depression and anxiety and currently take

I am struggling with depression and anxiety and currently take citalopram and propranolol.
I have been to my doctors on numerous occasions but feel that they dont take me seriously when i try to discuss my symptoms further. I have explained that i have days where i am extremely low but also have days where i am fine or extremely hyper or that worked up and anxious that i self harm to try and distract myself. I have ended up in quite a bit of debt from days where i have been spending erraticaly. I have been referred to a counsellor twice but this doesnt help. A friend mentioned bipolar disorder to me and i am worried about it.
Is this something i should be concerned about and seek guidance?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have some signs of Bipolar disorder, but anxiety and depression can also cause those symptoms.

If you are seeing a counselor, have they done a complete evaluation of your symptoms? If they have not done so, ask your counselor to evaluate you. Explain your symptoms and have them screen you for Bipolar disorder.

If you are taking medications, then you may need them changed if your symptoms are not being relieved. How long you have been taking these medications is important. Sometimes medications can be less effective the longer they are used.

You may need to change doctors if you feel you are not being listened to. Sometimes, it takes a few tries to find a doctor and/or therapist you feel you can work with. Try talking with your GP about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/ or http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate