Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

What does it mean if you are described as almost psychotic

What does it mean if you are described as "almost psychotic?" I think my doctor said that was a technical term meaning not quite psychotic but nearly so. Are you aware of its use - as opposed to out and out psychotic?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for requesting my help.

Almost psychotic is not a clinical diagnosis. You either are psychotic or you are not. You may have traits of psychosis, but if you do not have all the required traits, you cannot be diagnosed as psychotic.

You are not psychotic if:

Your reality testing is intact. What that means is that you know who you are, who other people are, you are oriented to time and place.

You are not exhibiting delusions (false beliefs that are not supported by reality), and you are not experiencing hallucinations (which are false sensory information such as seeing things or hearing things that are not there).

There is really no in between with this diagnosis. It is like telling someone they are a little bit pregnant. You either are or you are not.

You may need a second opinion on this diagnosis. It is important that you have a correct diagnosis so you can educate yourself about your situation and make progress in helping yourself.

I hope this has helped,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Kate:

Is vyvanse addictive? I have been on it for six months and I don't know but I am worried. What happens if I stop taking it (ps. I won't do that without my doctor's consent. I'm just asking. She says it isn't addictive. I think it is. What do you think?)

Vyvanse is a drug that is used to treat ADHD in adults and children over the age of 6. It is a stimulant. From what I understand, because it is a stimulant, it can be abused and possibly addictive. With respect to your doctor, you may want a second opinion on taking this medication.

If you are concerned and feel you do not want to take this drug, talk with your doctor about taking another medication. There should be other options available that you can try.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist