Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

My question I am 41 and have been thin/fit my whole life with the exception of the last

My question: I am 41 and have been thin/fit my whole life with the exception of the last 8 years. I have a constant battle going on inside my head knowing what I SHOULD do and what i actually do. When it comes down to doing something about it, i actually begin to panic or cry. It really is not as simple as "Just Do It". I'm not a dramatic or weepy person, but this is one area that i am a daily struggle with. It seems like I sabotage any happiness I could have. Getting back to where I was before is on my mind every day. It wouldnt take much, but again, when I think about doing soemthing about it, I start to panic. What the heck?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through. I do want to assure you though that you are not alone. Many of us go through the situation you describe at some point or the other. Typically this happens when the goals we set ourselves are too stringent or tough or when we start to have huge expectations from ourself about achieving something. Over time that fear solidifies into almost a phobia, a reason to panic. We are so afraid of failing in achieving the goal we have set ourselves that we do not even want to try or we feel too overwhelmed to even take the first steps.

The solution to this situation is to break down your goals in small achievable tasks. For example, week 1 goal - join a gym or start going for a walk, week 2 - spend at least 30 minutes in the gym or walking at least 3 times a day. So you see, these are very achievable goals and they don't put too much pressure on you.The other thing is try to put aside any expectations or time lines that you might have about weight reduction. For example, if a part of you feels you should typically lose xyz pounds within say 3 weeks of exercising, then that is an expectation you're setting yourself which might be a cause for your anxiety. Instead tell yourself that you'll simply keep exercising and eating healthy and not worry about the weight reduction right now. Let it happen naturally and at its own pace.

I would also recommend that you work with a therapist or a life coach who specializes in weight, body image issues and can be a source of support and encouragement for you. That person can also help you keep on track with your weight loss goals.

I think if you can implement the above two recommendations you will find your fear and anxiety around this issue gradually dissipating.

I hope that was helpful.

Please feel free to reply back with any questions/thoughts/clarifications you may have.

Kind Regards,