Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

Hello. Seeking info about social fear, empathic personality

Hello. Seeking info about social fear, empathic personality traits and performance anxiety. I am a 53 year old mom, moving into a demanding horse-training protocol and during my last clinic (4 week "boot camp" for "independent progress" and instructor's employment), was perceived as too empathic when my intention was to make friends and be a positive team player. I was nervous during testing, but was my first time out. Resigned some of my efforts to being supportive of the girls more ready for the job and participated to the best of my ability. How can I improve my learning and relational approaches under these types of circumstances?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

First of all, the training that you talk about sounds demanding and rigorous and I applaud you for your determination, persistence and dedication to get through. I have no doubt that you will do well as you continue to push yourself.

What I think might be helpful is therapy. What you are experiencing here is anxiety from going into a new environment, the stress of meeting new people, and adjusting to new rules and requirements all while training in a rigorous program. It is understandable that you would experience some about of stress and anxiety which in turn might hamper your performance. Empathy is certainly a strength but perhaps the way you are communicating empathy is leading to some misunderstandings? That is why I would recommend that you consider therapy especially with a therapist who has specialized in Anxiety. Together you can work on how to communicate most effectively, how to identify the underlying causes of stress and anxiety and tools and techniques to implement that can help you better the situation.

Here is a directory where you can search for qualified therapists in your area.

I hope that was useful.

Please let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts/clarifications.

Kind Regards,