Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

i am bipolar and am on medications,but am still having a hard

i am bipolar and am on medications,but am still having a hard time finding the energy to do the things that i enjoy or can elavate the quality of my life.what can i do to reclaim the love for life i did have at one time?a broad question i know,but i,m scared of loosing everything,my job,my home,my life becouse i cant muster up enough whatever to move forward in a possitive direction.this bipolar is getting worse as i get older,i am 34,male,single,how can i stop the progression of this disorder?thank you for your time and help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through.

Typically the best treatment for bipolar and in general most mental health issues are a combination of medication and talk therapy. Talk therapy can provide the supportive environment that you need to move forward in a positive direction in your life. There are talk therapists who specialize in Bipolar Disorder and you can find them in your area by typing in your zipcode in this directory.

Support groups - such as online forums and in person group therapy for those who have a Bipolar Disorder diagnosis can also be helpful. The key is to have more support (through a forum, supportive friends, family etc.) and to be able to become more aware of your condition (through therapy) so that you can best deal with it.

Please don't despair. There are thousands of people around the world who have made and continue to make significant contributions and live high functioning lives in spite of having a Bipolar Disorder diagnosis.

I hope that was useful.

Please let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts/clarifications.

Kind Regards,