Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I have lost 50lbs in the last 4months. My bmi is 21 now. I

I have lost 50lbs in the last 4months. My bmi is 21 now. I cant eat to gain weight, even though i was recently hospitalized for physiological issues( syncope, bradycardia, low bp, anemia, and electrolyte imbalances directly related to eating. My life is about to be ruined and i cant seem to stop it. I have a therapist that is concerned and a psychiatrist that wants me on antidepressants but i wont take them due to the fear of weight gain. I am about to just give up on getting help because it seems i am just wasting everyones time, and I just cant seem to shake this self destructive funk i have been in for 2 years now. I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression..but the antidepressants made me anxious and have panic attacks. In the last 2 yrs i have been raped, graduated college, lost my first career job, lost my older sister, house in foreclosure, gone to court over custody of my son, and had a major health scare.Previous to those two years..i led a simple life and was pretty balanced and happy. My medical doctors are now honing in on the eating issues due to my labs and rapid weight loss. I work in a profession that actually makes them almost peers so it is difficult to open up to them. I am ashamed of my self destructive behavior and angry at myself for not being able to pick myself up like i always have in the past. Any opinions on what course of action if any are left would be helpful..thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.

Anna :

Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

Anna :

Have you been to an inpatient eating disorders program?

Customer:

no i dont think i can afford that..just got a job as an RN at a hospital

Customer:

one thing i hadnt mentioned is that i had an eating disorder when i was younger..and it crept up throughout the years but i also drank and used drugs for many years. When i stopped and was sober for 2 months this last time..that is when something just shifted and i stopped eating. I have been sober for 6months now but almost worse than when using.

Anna :

Are you in a 12 step program?

Customer:

not anymore

Customer:

i have kinda isolated myself

Anna :

Can you tell me why?

Customer:

i feel like a failure around happy people :)

Customer:

dont know how else to describe it

Anna :

lol...so do many in meetings.

Customer:

they think i am definitely using because i havent been to meetings

Anna :

It sounds like you're not new to your symptoms and you've got a bit of a grasp on what your options are. Also being an RN helps you see more than most. Do you want me to be straight up, gloves off with you?

Customer:

yes please

Anna :

You're in trouble and you're not going to be able to hide it for very long. I doubt any of your healthcare providers are clueless about your anorexia.

Anna :

You're skidding down a path that is going to require drastic measures to halt.

Customer:

yeah kinda worried about that and also what my therapist is planning

Anna :

If you don't get the help you need right away, you're going to lose more than your house and custody of your son...you're going to lose the chance to ever get any of that back. It's time for either inpt or IOP.

Anna :

There isn't another way

Customer:

what is IOP?

Customer:

partial?

Anna :

I don't even know if meetings up the wazoo would help you at this point, but if you want to take the option that has the most control for you and the least chance of success, that would be the option. Yes..IOP is partial

Anna :

If you get mandated to treatment, your license is going to be in jeapardy....what hell that is.

Customer:

i dont think they offer that around here but i work nites so it could work

Customer:

for eating disorders too?

Anna :

Call around to treatment centers....any where that has a women's unit or an outpt program should be able to combine ED treatment with IOP addictions treatment.

Customer:

ok hadnt thought of it that way

Customer:

more options

Anna :

It's a start, and you need to batten down the hatches and run for help before you lose more than you bargained for. The life you're in right now is just Hellish and incredibly painfull. You can't stay in it long.

Customer:

ok thanks..part of my fear has been the fact that i would go back to using if i start eating

Customer:

so a dual thing might be good

Anna :

My heart goes out to you, but you're not the only one to face these issues...women do recover and lead good lives. It's hard, but so is college and NCLEX exams and parenthood. You can do this. I understand your fear of using if you eat...it's very common....but you're not alone, and others have made paths behind them.....

Customer:

thanks for your help:)

Anna :

Think of how your experiences can help the ones behind you.....this could be your calling as a nurse. You never know....

Anna :

But I do know that you need to seek drastic measures. It's time for crisis management.

Customer:

alright thanks again for your input

Anna :

<div class="JA_chatMsgAuthor"Customersays:

6:07 PM

thanks for your help:) You're welcome. Be gentle with yourself, and get the help you deserve. Anna

Customer:

going to google now and see what is available

Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.