Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

Can NSAIDS help with OCPD I havent had much luch with SSRIs

Can NSAIDS help with OCPD? I haven't had much luch with SSRI's or tricyclics so far.
Before I answer I want to NSAIDS you mean Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugsand by OCPD you mean Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, correct? And by BPD do you mean bipolar or borderline personality?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr K, I'm so sorry, I should have been more specific. It is very late here and I haven't slept in a couple of days. I was diagnosed when I was a late teen with Borderline Personality disorder, and then with Major Depressive Disorder. I meant SNRI (not NSAIDS). I believe I have obsessive compulsive personality disorder traits which make elements of my life very difficult. I heard that Bupropion (Wellbutrin) might be of some help because it is a dopernagenic (sp?) and an SNRI. Since I have had no luck with SSRI's, MAOI's or Tricyclics, I was hoping this may be the answer (as well as a lot more CBT, of course). Regards, Casey

Okay, I hear where you are coming from now. As of now, there are no proven medications for any personality disorders. There was a recent study which said that for patients with borderline, although there are no general recommendations for a specific class of medication, using medications to target various symptoms may help. I am not aware of any such studies for OCPD.

The gold standard of treatment for these disorders is still long term psychotherapy, so I'm glad you're getting CBT. I recommend weekely sessions, but you can get away with every other week if you're doing homework assignments inbetween sessions.

If you haven't had much luck with SSRIs or TCAs, SNRIs may be worth trying. They are more likely to help your depression...and could theoretically help parts of the borderline or OCPD. The only way to know for sure is try it. Wellbutrin is a unique medication that has SNRI & dopaminergic qualities to it. As long as you don't have seizures or bulemia it is a safe medication (especially worth trying if you are also a smoker or have any history of stimulant (cocaine, methamphetamine, ritalin, etc.) abuse. Buspar might be worth considering too (but remember it's almost always best to make one med change at a time).

Also, don't forget to make sure you treat yourself holistically. I have seen many patients get better with meds...but then they ignore trying to balance their lives with: nutrition, exercise, stress management, psychotherapy, and relaxation therapy.

The last 2 treatments I mentioned are proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function.

Also, by formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

Last, here are several self-help books you should consider: 1) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, 2) The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression, Second Edition by Mary Ellen Copeland and Matthew McKay 3) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns; 4) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX, and 5) Too Perfect: When Being in Control Gets Out of Control by Jeannette Dewyze and Allan Mallinger (this last one is especially good for perfectionists).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using