Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I have had depression for most of my life. I have take antidepressants

I have had depression for most of my life. I have take antidepressants for the last 10 years, with varied success. Once in a while I think it would be easier to just fall asleep and never wake up. Although, I can be the life of the party at a football game, and then cant get out of bed for 3 days. How do I get a real diagnosis?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 3 years ago.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Customer:

ok

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Have you been evaluated for bipolar disorder? The reason I ask is that if you have long periods of depression and antidepressants don't help, you may have undiagnosable bipolar, which indicates a different type of medication.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I mean undiagnosed

Customer:

no,

Customer:

my dr just tells me to up the dosage

Customer:

I think i need a new Dr.

Customer:

the pharmacist really had a problem with the last prescription, both cipralex and effexor

Carol Kryder LMFT :

OK, here is what to look for: You say you have long periods of not being able to get out of bed, but can be the "life of the party." Does that mean you are high energy, impulsive, attention or thrill-seeking during these times? If so, yes, you need a new doctor and you need to try a mood stabilizer such as Lamical. Why did the pharmacist have a problem?

Customer:

she told me i should think about my situation in life and see if I needed to make some changes

Carol Kryder LMFT :

What the heck does that mean?

Customer:

I know! I was freaked right out. She had a problem that I was taking a high dose of effexor and also the cipralex. she though it shoud be one or the other

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I agree. Please see a new doctor immediately. You probably need a mood stabilizer.

Customer:

I can be really silly and super fun, and once in a while i will drive home and feel all happy and think i finally i dont have depression anymore and the next day, im stuck in bed

Customer:

i never seem to get anywhere with Drs

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You are sounding more and more like a bipolar person. If these symptoms started about 20 years ago, it is the right age for it to appear. Forget about seeing a regular doctor. Ask for a psychiatrist.

Customer:

ok

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I meant 10 years ago, when you were 20.

Customer:

yes, at least

Carol Kryder LMFT :

If you need a referral (I see you live in Canada) be sure to tell the doctor that you need to have bipolar disorder ruled out and you need to see a psychiatrist

Customer:

my new Dr that is?? hahah

Carol Kryder LMFT :

If your present doc a psychiatrist?

Customer:

no, just a family Dr

Customer:

ok

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I thought so. Family docs often miss bipolar and when they do see it, they are afraid to prescribe a mood stabilizer. You need to see a psychiatrist and ask for a mood stabilizer. I recommend Lamictal. There is no weight gain!!!!

Customer:

Oh good! Thanks. I have suspected f Bipolar II for awhile, but never had anyone agree with me

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I am agreeing with you!!!

Customer:

Thank you so much! I will get on it tommorow :)

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Best to you!

Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience