Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I can become extremely angry towards people eating and drinking

I can become extremely angry towards people eating and drinking noisily in front of me including close family.
I have suffered this since childhood but in recent years it has become worse. I am in my early sixties.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

It sounds like you are the type of person who has expectations of others and when they do not meet them, you are annoyed.

Customer:

No I dont think this has anything to so with it.

Customer:

I think it has something to do with my father

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Your father was a noisy eater and drinker? Or did he become angry at you as a child when you showed poor table manners. In either case, I suggest you recognize where this comes from and try to let it go. This is old history for you and is impacting you in the present. If you can't let it go, then quietly leave the room when it happens. This is not worth spending your energy on.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

At your age it is all about doing what makes you happy. We cannot control others, so we need to avoid those who irritate us. Spend your energy on things that you enjoy.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Best to you