Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I have just recently weened of of Zoloft with the guidance

I have just recently weened of of Zoloft with the guidance of my GP. I was on the drug for 10 years. I had gone through a very difficult time and was having trouble coping. I chose to try going off of the anti-depressant because I believe that I am in a good solid place in my life. I have a great support system, enjoy my job, workout regulary,etc.

As I have been going through this process I have noticed gaps in memory, feeling not quite dizzy but more like my brain is not attached properly in my head and I have been quite weepy. I went on line and did some research and found that these were some pretty common symptoms of withdrawal drom the drug.

Currently I find that I am having a terrible time self regulating emotion. I am easily brought to tears but what feels more disturbing is that I am moved to the place of what extreme anger in a heartbeat. I am not finding that I am taking my anger out on the people I love but there seems to be a consistent feeling of intense anger and it feels bigger than what it should be for the situation. I can't determine if this is a symptom of withdrawal, is it normal as the brain attempts to regulate seratonin on its own, or if I am one of those indiviuals who should just be on the drug.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Corinne
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

It does sound like you are still in withdrawal from the Zoloft. Some people have found that taking a little bit of Prozac for a while helps with the "crash" off Zoloft, because Prozac has a much longer half life. You may be one of those people who needs a longer taper schedule and Prozac can help with this. Please talk to your doctor. There is no reason for you to suffer like this.

Best to you