Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

I am a 41 year old male diagnosed with Tourettes Syndrome,

I am a 41 year old male diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, NOS Depressive/ Anxiety and has Substance Abuse issues. My Tourette's is relatively mild and for the most part is maintained by a low dose of Orap, but it is all not as bad as it sounds.

My main issue are recurring thoughts, sometimes negative, sometimes that lead to ritualistic anti-social actions that alienate myself from others, further making socialization difficult. I have had great success with an Osteopathic Neurologist in the past, but it has worn off.

I guess my question is...finally.. ;) what would be some recommendations of courses of action to alleviate these rituals and finally get me off of most of the other medications I am taking. Since I am a Substance Abuser it is dangerous for me to dabble too much in pharmaceuticals. I live in the 32806 zip code. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

Given that you want to avoid medication, I think the most recommended course of action would be to engage in therapy, especially with a person specializing in anxiety disorders. On-going therapy can be very helpful in reducing the need for engaging in these rituals.

You can use this directory to find therapists in your zip code and then sort by their specialization (e.g. Anxiety Disorders).

I hope this was helpful.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Kind regards,