Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

i was wondering how long it takes to break a habit i have

i was wondering how long it takes to break a habit? i have develped a health anxiety when it comes to breast lumps, and constantly checking for the past year. i have fibercystic tissue, just had a normal breast exam and mammogram. and i was even told to stop the sbe. so, i was wondering how long it takes to break a habit like this?!!

Also, my health anxiety always seems worse about a week before and during my cycle. Can hormones have an affect on anxety? And what can i do about it now?!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

As you have no-doubt already realized, breaking a habit is hard. However it is possible. I would recommend that you work with a professional therapist who specializes in anxiety and/or who uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to address anxiety. The CBT technique has been found particularly useful in lowering anxiety and with just a few sessions you should see a marked improvement.

You can find a therapist with the above mentioned specializations from this directory.

It is possible that hormonal changes further impact your anxiety. But by taking concerted steps with the help of a professional you can most certainly see results.

I hope that was helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Kind regards,