Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

I was in prison for embezzlement from 03 2006 until 09/2007.

I was in prison for embezzlement from 03 2006 until 09/2007. I was a highle regarded in my line of work which was in a bank...I had workd there for 28 yrs. My marriage stayed intatct wit a lot of hard work, however my self image, my ability to forgive myself has sort of stalled with a raw sense of what i did. I'm seeing a therapist, but I can't get rid of this sinking feeling and the impendig doom thaht hangs over me everywhere. Thanks, Sherry

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through.

You probably already know that you must let go of the past in order to move on. And that dwelling on the past is not going to change anything. Instead it will eat away at your self-esteem, and keep you from starting afresh.

However, you also probably know that letting go of the past is not easy.

I'd like to suggest a certain technique to you that has helped hundreds of thousands of people all over the world to let go of the past and move forward. That technique is called mindfulness meditation. You can read more about it here, if you're not already familiar with it. And to start with, I would recommend you listen to this CD by John Kabat Zinn that will introduce you to the techniques of mindfulness.

I think if you can persistently remind yourself that the past is gone, and punishing yourself over what happened can not bring about any good. Your mind will continue to go back to the past, but as you read about the mindfulness meditation techniques, you'll learn how to bring your wandering and often out-of-control thoughts back to the present. As you continue to do this, you will be able to focus more and more on the present and let go of the baggage of the past.

It is good to hear that you are processing this in therapy. I think it's important to continue to do that.

I hope I have been helpful. Please consider clicking on Accept as experts are not credited for their time or service otherwise.

Please feel free to continue the conversation even after you click Accept.

Kind regards,