David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

Hello, I have a question in reference to my mother who

Hello, I have a question in reference to my mother who has suffered depression and schizophrenia for about 20 years now. A couple of years ago she suffered a stroke and is paralyzed on her left side. She currently resides in an adult group home and is now refusing to take her psych meds. She is refusing to take showers, let a doctor examine her and she rather smoke than eat. She is also very hostile to others. This has been going on now for over 6 months where she is refusing to take her psych meds. I have tried to have her committed so that she can get back on track with her psych meds, but the facility refuses to admit her unless she is a threat to herself or others, or if she has approval from her psychiatrist. Her nurse, social worker and I have tried to contact her psychiatrist numerous times to explain the situation, but he refuses to reach out to us or even help. What else can I do to help my mother? I have also been appointed her legal guardian.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David Akiva replied 3 years ago.

Duddy :

Welcome, I am a professional counselor, Behavioral-Consultant and relationship expert. Do you mind if I ask a few questions to better understand your situation before answering your presenting question?

Duddy :

I'll check back shortly for your response.

Customer:

yes

Duddy :

Ok. Thank you. I'd like to start by saying I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your mother. It must be so hard to deal with this at times....

Duddy :

May I ask what if anything has been tried to help your mother take her meds and to have a better quality of life apart from trying to contact the psychiatrist? Has anything worked in the past around simillar behaviors or are these behaviors related to stroke?

Customer:

My mother has been dealing with this since the birth of my brother who is 19 now. She is 51 and I"m am 31 years old. She had always been committed many times during the span on 20 years to the mental health facility. She would come out and do well for a few months and then slip back into a deep hole. I don't believe anything different has been ever tried to better her quality of life.

Duddy :

One approach that may be helpful in the current situation might be to work with a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, to look at your mom's issues from a behavioral change perspective. When you're mom's free choice is inhibited by her illnesses, there may be simple changes in her environment that would help her to take her meds and to reduce or change some of her negative behaviors to more positive healthy behaviors that can increase her quality of life. Here is a link that explains what a BCBA does:

Duddy :

http://www.bacb.com/index.php?page=2

Duddy :

The observation and data collection that a BCBA could provide you with would not only provide clear suggestions for what behavioral interventions might make a very positive difference in your mothers quality of life, but it might also provide supportive documentation to get support from the psychiatrist.

Duddy :

You may be able to get a free consultation/intervention from a Master's or Doctoral level BCBA certificant who is looking for clinical hours of work to apply towards BCBA certification.

Customer:

Ok. I always thought that maybe she needed the "right" psychiatrist that could help her. I will do my research to find a BCBA in the city that could assess her needs since she has just bee going through a vicious cycle for the last 20 years. Thank you for your help.

Duddy :

Ok there is a page on the site I sent you that allows you to find BCBA's in your area. I recommend calling and talking to the BCBA's in your area and ask if there is anyone who is doing the certification process and looking for clinical hours. They will always provide a free telephone consultation so you can get a sense of their expertise and suggestions. I would also ask if they know of someone who specializes in work with adults with depression and schizophrenia in aggregate care settings.

Duddy :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

no, you've been very helpful. Thanks!

Duddy :

Your welcome. Please don't forget to press the "Accept" button.

David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience: Counselor; Behavioral Consultant