TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I do not know how to find a suitable person to date let alone

I do not know how to find a suitable person to date let alone to marry. I have interests that are different from most people. I enjoy history, philosophy, and literature. Most women that I have dated don't care about such subjects but are more into things like "American Idol" I want to find the right person but most women do not care about or know about my interests and I do not care or know about their interests. What to do?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you do not live in an area that is good for finding the type of women you are interested in.

Does your area have any thing like cultural events? Maybe a theater or a museum? Maybe you could join a group on line and get to know women that way.

You may also need to give the women you meet a bit more time. Sometimes, people will present what they think is interesting to everyone in an attempt to seem open and approachable. They may not be as interested in some of those things as they first appear. If you have not already, try to bring up some of the general topics you are interested in, leaving out the intense ones (like philosophy). For example, talk about your interest in reading without mentioning some of the literature specifically. See what kind of reaction you get. What a person reads will tell you a lot about who they are.

As a last resort, consider traveling when you have the time. Visit places that have events and destinations that interest you. Spend a couple of days touring historic areas, museums or attend a philosophy lecture. You may meet someone you enjoy and start a long distance relationship.

Also consider searching on line. On line dating sites are becoming more accepted. Or you can consider moving out of the area, but that is a pretty drastic step if you have roots there. But it is an option.

I hope this helps you,
Kate