Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

my wife refuses to take a lie detector test when i bring it

my wife refuses to take a lie detector test when i bring it up she gets real mad and starts crying and yelling saying she would never do that to me, what should i do? its on my mind all the time
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Why do you want your wife to take a lie detector test? Did she do something that has made you doubt her honesty or credibility?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we went to a company party once and her supervisor was behind her like a lost puppy, the party was at his house and he poked her in the side, once i went to her office and she was in a whole other building in his office, she said she had to take him some work orders, when asked if they were the only ones back there she said yes. also someone told me about here and an uncle of mine, but when i ask her she gets mad and really upset, i konw the way my uncle is, my wife is 14 years older than me and tells me she doesnt care what i think anymore but she will never take that stupid test because she knows who she is and screw what i think
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Okay thank you for the additional information. There really doesn't seem to be enough evidence here to ask your wife to take a lie detector test. Though you may have some suspicions, the examples you just mentioned could be very likely innocent. Regardless, they do not in any way, merit that she be subjected to a lie detector test. She is getting angry and no longer cares what you think, as she finds this suggestion to be disrespectful to her and extreme. Unless you have much more solid evidence that your wife has done or is doing something that is dishonest or is betraying you or the marriage, it would be best to not accuse her of wrongdoing and to never again suggest the lie detector test.

If she has a habit of lying to you, and you have caught her cheating or is someone that has no credibility that would be a different story. Otherwise, the test seems unreasonable and over the top. I would suggest that maybe you or the two of you could get some counseling around trust or communication issues. If she is not willing to do counseling with you, then it could be useful for you to understand why you distrust her to this level and to deal with your feelings about these incidents. You really need to stop mentioning this lie detector test or you are going to push her away.

Please click ACCEPT button for this answer. And feel free to ask more questions of me, even after clicking accept. Thank you.

Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!