TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have been on e-mail and chat with a man for app.7 mos. He

<p>I have been on e-mail and chat with a man for app.7 mos. He said he is in I raq, or rather was in Iraq, now he is in the hopital in Ghana, Africa. He was robbed and his bag and his money and PC was stolen. I may be in a scam, but, how do you find out for sure! This has made me upset, and can't sleep for worry about this, a friend sent him 2000. to cover part of his hospital bill but, now needs 3000.00 to finish it He told me he is 59, widower, with no children, wife and 2 kids were killed in a plane crash, He is on the border patrol in I raq, or was, sorry. He is a sgt. as of now he is retired, he planned to come here and live here. He has a best friend who is in Iraq and can't leave just yet He is very kind, does have a temper, He loves animals. kids. </p>
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I think if you are having these doubts and anxiety over this issue, it's probably a scam. It is very common for people to be scammed by criminals from another country who claim they are in financial trouble. Why would anyone seek out help from someone in a different country otherwise? Plus, if he is in the military, they would be helping him out. He would not need to contact someone he does not know out of the country.

His story sounds a bit like he is trying to gain your sympathy. That is a lot of tragedy to happen to anyone, let alone this guy. If this was all true, he would have others with him that would help him.

Check with your local police about the situation as well. Or you can contact the attorney general in your state. They can let you know if they have had any reports of of this type of scam and if your situation is suspicious. They are very experienced in dealing with scams, especially from overseas.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with,

Kate