Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I suffer from panic attacks, slight agrophobia, bipolar II

I suffer from panic attacks, slight agrophobia, bipolar II and depression I dont take anything at this time other than xanax for the panic attacks, and seem to be doing well no "episodes" for many months, no real panic in a long time some general anxiety all day and I am able to drive and go some places alone now which is good..

Sorry to ramble here is my question,
I do meditation,yoga,tichi,take my meds like I should and eat well, I dont eat fatty foods, nor do I drink anything other than water. I have tried talk therapy, hypnotherapy, CBT,ACT self help groups/books the Linden Method among other things and cant seem to get this anxiety under control I KNOW it can not harm me and I do not fear them as I use to and I can over come most big anxiety attacks by breathing and taking my meds its the over all anxiety thats driving me up the damn wall, like everything I do sends my body into over drive .. I wont take any other meds I am trying all natural treatments now ( I was on all kinds of things had to do a hospital detox to come off of them and been off a year and feel much better now than on them)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you have been on the right path with all the treatments you have tried. They would be all the treatments I would usually recommend to anyone who has anxiety. Most of the time, they would work. However, I do have a few more additional things you can try.

Bipolar II, which by it's nature has periods of agitation called hypomania, may be the cause of your symptoms rather than anxiety. In many people, these episodes of hypomania are so low grade they appear to be anxiety. You may be interpreting the symptoms of Bipolar II as anxiety, therefore no anti anxiety regime or any other treatment for anxiety will work to reduce the symptom. You may need to see your doctor and get on a mood stabilizer. I highly recommend you see your prescribing doctor to rule this possibility out.

If you do not have hypomania, then you may want to try some additional anxiety treatment methods. Here are some options for you:

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Edmund J. Bourne - an excellent treatment guide with several different options to help you in finding a way to help yourself with the anxiety.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett - The Mid West Center and Lucinda Bassett have a great program to help you reduce or eliminate your anxiety.

You can also try a natural supplement regime that helps stabilize moods and calms anxiety symptoms. The supplements include 1000 mg. Omega 3 fatty acid, 100 mg. Magnesium glycenate, and 10 mg. Zinc. Just be sure to clear the supplements with your doctor first before starting them.

I hope this helps you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.