Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
41101243

Is there a solution for someone who limits her eating to items

Is there a solution for someone who limits her eating to items she is only sure won't cause her to be intolerant of her food and is now only eating a few items due to fear of change? She is now not under weight and eats her safe foods to live. She needs to add to her diet fruit and vegetables to be healthy and can't seem to make it happen because she feels great most of the time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

It is possible that your past experience of the ulcer induced a fear in you which keeps you from experimenting with other foods and compels you to stay within your comfort zone. This kind of fear often develops after a traumatizing event/incident and later turns into a habit which is hard to get out of.

What you describe sounds akin to a sort of mild phobia or at the least a restricting fear.

You mentioned you have already tried counseling. I'm wondering if you've tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) especially with a professional experienced in phobias. CBT has been found especially useful in addressing fears that set in. Typically CBT involves addressing the limiting self-beliefs that might have grown out of the traumatic incident (e.g. of a limiting belief could be - "If I eat xyz fruits or vegetables my ulcer might return and cause me much pain"). CBT slows uncovers and explores what underlying beliefs, motivations are leading you to resist certain types of foods and then works to replace the limiting beliefs with positive empowering ones.

You can find a therapist in your area who uses CBT and has a specialization in treating phobias/anxiety at this therapist directory online.

I hope this was helpful.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Kind regards,

Arundhati