TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My boyfriend has PTSD brought on by excessive abuse during

My boyfriend has PTSD brought on by excessive abuse during 6 months of foster care, over five years ago. Him and his family can't afford Cognitive Behavioral Therapy yet. Is there anything I can do to help until then?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

If your boyfriend can't afford therapy, he could try the local community mental health center. They will see him on a sliding fee scale. He could also talk with his pastor, if he attends church. He could also try support groups, which are no cost. Here is a resource to help him find a group:

http://www.ascasupport.org/

You can also educate yourself (and him) on how to help him by reading books about abuse and PTSD. Here are some to get you started:

Outgrowing the Pain: A Book for and About Adults Abused As Children by Eliana Gil

Adult Children of Abusive Parents: A Healing Program for Those Who Have Been Physically, Sexually, or Emotionally Abused by Steven Farmer- although it was foster parents that hurt him, this book can provide some helpful insight into the effects of childhood abuse.

The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms by Mary Beth Williams and Soili Poijula

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

You can also help him by being there for him. Let him talk whenever he needs to and reassure him that he is ok now and that he is cared for. Your support and the passage of time will help him recover. And when he is able to go to therapy, he can work on coping with his symptoms. In the meanwhile, the resources should help him get a strong start.

I hope this helps you,

Kate