TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have recently have gotten myself off of pain killers. I had

Customer Question

I have recently have gotten myself off of pain killers. I had anxiety before but now i went cold turley my anxiety is tremendous. Sleepless nights, horriblr thoughts that transpire into worse thoughts, doom n gloom all over. Its been 11 days since I have had anything. My body is so weak i can hardley keep up w my four kids. My husband is leaving for basic training in the Army in May and I cant seem to stop crying about it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you might be going through withdrawal from the pain killers and dealing with anxiety at the same time. How much each is affecting how you feel is unclear. Have you spoken to your doctor? It is important that you do so because you might be able to get some help in coping with your symptoms. Talk to your doctor about trying a medication like Ativan. You can take Ativan as prescribed or as needed for your anxiety.

Once you have been cleared by your doctor, it is important that you address your anxiety. The first step you can take is seeing a therapist. When you see your doctor, be sure to ask for a referral. If you attend church, you can also talk with your pastor. To search on line for a therapist (if your doctor cannot refer you) try this link:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Therapy is highly effective in reducing or even eliminating anxiety. Cognative behavioral therapy (CBT) has been shown to be the most effective therapy in helping people suffering with anxiety.

You can also try relaxation techniques. Start with breathing. Remind yourself during the day to take deep breaths. Often, people with anxiety shorten their breathing, which causes them to get less oxygen and therefore they feel more anxious. Also, at night, try to relax yourself by laying on your back and tightening each muscle group from your head to your toes. Tense each one then release. This helps you consciously relax yourself and can help you sleep better.

There are also many self help resources you can use to help yourself overcome your anxiety. Here are a few to help you get started:

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Edmund J. Bourne (I highly recommend this book)

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

Pass Through Panic: Freeing Yourself from Anxiety and Fear - Audio CD - Audiobook (May 19, 2005) by Claire Weekes

You can find these on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How long does withdrawel usually last? i was taking 8000 mlg of hydrocodone a day for the last 6 months.

It all depends. It probably would be best to check with your doctor. There could be some effects still left, though it's probably not as significant as the anxiety.

Kate