TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My daughter is 17 years olad and last night she ask me if she

<p>My daughter is 17 years olad and last night she ask me if she can see someone to talk to because she is sad and there is a lots of issues that she is keeping inside and she would like to bring it out, I always tried to be her friend, she share a lots of thing with me now I don't know what to do. ofcourse me and my husband talked to her last night and brought up all positive subject to let her know how lucky and fortunte she is, but I beleive she has a lots of build up she said she can't open up and talk to anyone when she has problem and that is the main issue.</p><p> </p>
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your daughter wants to work on some issues with a therapist. It is good that you and your husband are there for her, but it seems she has some deeper issues she wants to work on.

It is a very good sign that your daughter has reached out to you to ask for help. Many adults do not seek help when needed, but your daughter is healthy enough to understand that she needs to talk to a professional. And she apparently trusts you and your husband enough to share this with you.

To find her a good therapist, there are many places to search. Start with her doctor. Ask for a referral to a good therapist. If your daughter attends church, she can also talk with her pastor. A school counselor might be a good short term option until she finds a permanent therapist. She can also search on line at Here is also a helpful article on the points to look for when searching for a good therapist:

Let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX an appointment with her doctor this afternoon, I just want to know if I have to talk to therapist before she or not? do I have to go and explain because even she is not talking to me I think I know most of her issues.

It is not necessary that you go in first. Your daughter is old enough to explain for herself what she is feeling. It is also important that the therapist establish the relationship themselves with your daughter. Therapists are trained to handle patients who will not talk to them, so unless the therapist specifically asks for your help, then your daughter should be fine.