Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

My son (student, 20 years old) was diagnosed with severe depression

My son (student, 20 years old) was diagnosed with severe depression in January.
His doctor prescribed him cipralex a month later. He started from 5 mg, looked like it helped a little, he said that his anxiety became better and he didn't look so sad. However, when he was prescribed 10 mg and then 15, he started to act like a crazy person. He talks too fast, thinks too fast, forgetting the subject he is talking about, screams on people without a reason.
Also he started to work on some scientific idea, which to his opinion will completely change the existing physics and mathematics principles, and, as a result, the whole world. He is very obsessive with his idea and cannot discuss/think about anything else. Eats very little, doesn't sleep at nights, looks restless and still depressed. When he meets the doctor, he just says that he is OK, because the doctor may think that he is crazy.
My son never experienced anything like that, is it related to cipralex and what can be done? I am really scared.

Hello and thank you for your question.

How long has your son been at the 15mg level and also is his doctor a psychiatrist or just his general physician?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He was on 15mg one week and his doctor is general physician
Sir- I am sorry to hear about your son.
In my 30 years of working with psychiatric patients, from what you have written,it is possible that this medication caused your son, already depressed to have a manic episode where he become, as you say, "crazy," delusional, out of touch with reality etc.
Regardless, this is a psychiatric emergency and this is an age where Psychiatric decompensation is common.

My suggestion to you is to have your son seen by a Board Certified Psychiatrist as soon as possible. This type of psychiatric emergency is best handled by a Psychiatrist vs General Practitioner so that appropriate assessment and treatment can follow.

Should you need referral assistance, I would be happy to assist. Simply provide your Zip Code.

Best, Bill

Okay thank you for the additional information. I needed that clarification in order to get a better understanding of the situation.

I understand that as his mother, you must be very concerned about your son. It's possible that he is experiencing a side effect from the medication that is causing these agitated behaviors you describe. That is one possibility. It's also possible that your son could be prone to manic episodes as well, that are not related necessarily to this specific medication but can be triggered by antidepressants. Meaning, it could be due to the medication, and it could also be that he was going to have manic episodes at some point regardless. Here is a link that describes some of the symptoms of a manic episode: http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx9.htm

Either way, he does need more support than a general practitioner. I recommend that you call his general physician immediately and get a referral to a psychiatrist (m.d, level practitioner) immediately. Do not hesitate on doing this. The general practitioner also may take him off the medication, and you can ask the doctor about this, when you call him.

I wish you the best with this, and I'm glad you contacted me regarding this matter. Please click on ACCEPT button, so I'm credited for my assistance. Also feel free to continue the discussion with me, even after clicking accept. Thank you. Kristin

Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!