TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My partner, female, going through Menopause (shes 53) works

My partner, female, going through Menopause (she's 53) works hard, has been doing the work of 2 people at work (she's in health and safety in hospitals facilities). She was taken to hospital and is now home. Her symptoms are of stock anxiety/stress. She is being tested for hyperthyroidism this week just in case and is on pills for high b.p. My question is what can I do to best support her? She gets palpitations if stressed (even by playing a computer game).

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you are doing some very nice things for her. Is she upset about how you are caring for her? If she does not like it then you may want to change it, but to me it sounds just right.

If you feel you want to do more, you can educate yourself on the problems she is having right now so you can help her further. Whatever you can learn about her conditions will help her make better choices about her care and possibly help her relax more. In almost all situations, when a person can educate themselves about what is happening to them, they feel more in control and less anxious about their circumstances.

Here are some resources to help you get started:

The Cleveland Clinic Guide to Menopause (Cleveland Clinic Guides) by Holly Thacker

A Woman's Guide to Menopause and Perimenopause (Yale University Press Health & Wellness) by Mary Jane Minkin M.D. and Carol V. Wright Ph.D.

The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Robbins Eshelman, Matthew McKay and Patrick Fanning

So Stressed: The Ultimate Stress-Relief Plan for Women by Stephanie McClellan M.D. and Beth Hamilton M.D.

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM): Hypertension: The Revolutionary Nutrition and Lifestyle Program to Help Fight High Blood Pressure by Mark C. Houston, Barry Fox and Nadine Taylor

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

If you find that she is not improving after a few months, talk with her about seeing a counselor. She can speak to her doctor about a referral or search on line at http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/.

Keep up what you are doing. It's wonderful that she has someone like you to be there for her. With the support you are providing, she should work through this stressful time just fine.

I hope this has helped,

Kate