TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Is there medication for jealousy. My husband has always been

Is there medication for jealousy. My husband has always been a bit jealous. i always go out of my way to assure him that he does not need to worry about anything. the past 6 months i won't even leave the house without having him with me or on the phone the entire errand. However, it does not matter. He starts becoming delusional and let's his imagination get the best of him. However, when he finally calms down maybe 2 or 3 days later he comes back to reality and apologies. he is leaving with jealousy rage for no reason. His mind is always racing and he will talk for hours trying to express himself. I honestly believe he needs medication to assist him with this illness. I am 43 years old and have been with him 23 years. I always forgive his behavior and blame it on his mental illness. However, i now need help and hope there is a medication for him.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There isn't a medication for jealousy itself. Jealousy comes from a personality issue which stems from either a learned behavior or from a deeper issue such as insecurity. Since these are taught from environmental influences, it is not a mental issue such as schizophrenia or Bipolar disorder. That does not mean that he could not be diagnosed with a mental illness, but it would not be based on jealousy but rather on a personality disorder, which is not treatable by medications. It is treatable by therapy, however.

The other symptom you mentioned your husband having is the racing thoughts and speech. That could indicate a possible disorder, but only if he has other symptoms such as inability to sit still, cannot complete a task, etc. That may indicate a mental health diagnosis that could be treated with medication.

Getting your husband an evaluation by a Master's level therapist would go a long way in figuring out what is causing his behavior. Jealousy is something he learned so getting to the bottom of why he acts out is going to involve him talking this issue out with a therapist. He can contact his doctor for a referral or if he attends church, he can talk with his pastor. Or if he wants to search on line he can try this link:

Here are some books that can help him get started in helping himself deal with this issue:

If This Is Love Why Do I Feel So Insecure? by Carl G Hindy, J. Conrad Schwarz and Archie Brodsky

How to Deal with Jealousy: Overcoming Jealousy and Possessiveness is Vital for a Healthy Marriage or Relationship. Learn How to Control Your Jealousy Now. by Taylor Timms

Life Without Jealousy: A Practical Guide (10-Step Empowerment Series) by Lynda Bevan

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this helps you,