TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

hi, I was diagnosed by Panic disorder last july and I am on

hi,
I was diagnosed by Panic disorder last july and I am on Cipralex since then. I have started with 10 mg and I felt better everyday that I thought the problem is solved. My last visit to the doctor he reduced the dosage to 5 mg and told me to continue and finish all the pills and stop taking afterwards. 2 weeks ago I heared somethign about heart attack that caused panic for me. I contact my doctor and he advised to take 10 mg again. But I dont feel good after taking the pill. I feel dizzy, sick, with nausea and confusin. I reduced it to 5 mg and I still feel very sick and uncomfortable after taking the pill. what should i do?!?!

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Your situation could be two things. One, you are reacting to the Cipralex and need a change in medication. Or two, you need more than medication to help you deal with your panic disorder.

The first step you can take is to check with your doctor about your symptoms and suggest that he/she prescribe you a different medication to try. Often, it takes a few medication changes to find one that works well with your body chemistry.

The second step you can take is to find a therapist. Whenever someone is diagnosed with a disorder such as panic or anxiety, the first step they usually take is to see a doctor, which is very natural, especially given the symptoms of panic disorder. Doctors are great for prescribing medication, but they leave off the next step of referring the person to a therapist. Medication can help a lot if you are having trouble coping with your symptoms, but it does not cure the panic disorder. Therapy can help you with getting to the root of the problem and solve what is causing the panic in the first place. Panic and anxiety are highly curable, so therapy can help you get to the point that you may not even need medications.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist. If you can find one that specializes in panic and anxiety, that is even better. You can also contact your local community mental health center or talk with your pastor, if you attend church. You can also search on line at http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/ and http://www.bacp.co.uk/.

You can start helping yourself as well. There are many books, articles and support groups out there to help you learn more about panic, the causes, and ways you can help yourself overcome your anxiety.

Here are a list of books to help you get started:

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Edmund J. Bourne (I highly recommend this book. It's full of information and very helpful)

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

Pass Through Panic: Freeing Yourself from Anxiety and Fear by Claire Weekes

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate