Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

Im daydreaming and cant stop. I dont want to do anything.

Customer Question

I'm daydreaming and can't stop. I don't want to do anything. It's hard to be home with my family or even talk to coworkers. It's hard to type this. I SECOND GUESS MYSELF ALL THE TIME.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 3 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. I am wondering when this first started for you. when daydreaming, what type of difficulties have you had? What do you daydream about?

Customer:

Within the last month, really bad. About being someone else, and a different family,

Brad The Therapist :

Did something significant happen in your life last month?

Customer:

I was just daydreaming on down time, now its at work all the time, like I cant turn it off.

Customer:

My mom lives with us and is ill and ......... she is becoming

Customer:

too much she is a rx drug addic. and she is getting deminsia

Customer:

I feel I cant cope with this at all.

Brad The Therapist :

That is definitely a stressful situation. No wonder you are daydreaming. This is actually protecting yourself from your current situation.

Customer:

What do I do. I feel Im negleting my family

Brad The Therapist :

What type of treatment is your mother receiving?

Customer:

Im trying to get her in a nursing home

Customer:

but its hard she dosnt want to go,

Customer:

and she is 65 young and they need so much info

Brad The Therapist :

What is your mother's hesitation to go to a nursing home?

Customer:

I have two dogs and she is attached to them

Brad The Therapist :

That make sense. Any other concerns she has for going to a nursing home?

Customer:

That she has to share a room and then take care of other patients. but her mind is going and her medical situation is becoming more than what i know.

Brad The Therapist :

A way to approach this with your mother is that you can no long take care of her as much as you would like to. I suggest sharing your feelings of feeling helpless and worried about her current condition and the best thing for her is to go to a nursing home. Also, pleas reassure her that she will still be able to see your two dogs and that she will have fun at the nursing home with the different activities they have.

Brad The Therapist :

In addition to your current stress with your mother, do you have any other concerns?

Customer:

No Just want to stop the daydreaming

Brad The Therapist :

One technique I have used to stop daydreaming is to wear a rubberband around your wrist, and when you notice that you are daydreaming, snap the rubberband and engage yourself into a different activity.

Customer:

Is there anything I can read or something about how to cope with the daydreaming and the situation

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

I will try that

Customer:

thank you

Brad The Therapist :

I hope I was helpful. I also have another technique for you...

Customer:

ok

Brad The Therapist :

Another way is to write down what you are daydreaming of and write a story from beginning to end. Do your daydreams typically end abruptly due to being at work?

Customer:

They did, but now I catch my self not focusing on work and daydreaming, takes me forever to complete anything, or want to talk to coworkers

Customer:

I have not stopped all day except now, because my head has begun to hurt and Im forcing myself to watch a show with the kids

Customer:

I can pretend Im listen to my cowokers while daydreaming

Brad The Therapist :

Ok, I encourage you to write down your daydream and construct a narrative from beginning to end. You your creativity on this and think about the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing when rereading this.

Brad The Therapist :

This suggestion if for more long-term treatment. The rubber band is for more immediate relief.

Customer:

I know I want to cry, but I think that will be good to do. I will definetly take the band to work

Customer:

I cry in my story of loved ones dying.

Brad The Therapist :

How does your story end?

Customer:

I will write it down

Customer:

ends with me sad and despair

Brad The Therapist :

okay, I would change the ending to something positive...you can add superpowers as well since you can be as creative as you can

Brad The Therapist :

I hope you find this helpful.

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

thank you

Brad The Therapist :

Good luck!

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults