psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

teen addicted to computer games, changes perentel restriction, plays till 4am in the mor

teen addicted to computer games, changes perentel
restriction, plays till 4am in the morning the school is ok.
teacher complains no participation tired
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 3 years ago.

There are professionals that are now treating and classifying computer games as an addiction. A mental health professional can identify the limits that need to be put on this addiction and how to resolve this with appropriate consequences. A child therapist can help you put in place measures to reduce participation. Possibly a rewards system. Find out before you make an appointment if the clinican is well versed in addictions in teens. The family can then work to set firm limits. You can also work with the school counselor to identify rewards or negative consequences for his addiction. Her being in the school can address this problem on days when he is "tired".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what sort of rewards do you suggest?
Expert:  psychlady replied 3 years ago.
Rewards should be specific for your teen. They may not cost any money - staying up later, going to a event with friends, doing something as a family that he finds enjoyable. These should only be offered if he has played these games to a certain time or for a certain amount of time in a day. If you are willing to give rewards that cost money of course there is financial reward, going to the movies with his friends, or working towards a bigger item that he wants. You can use a model of a chore chart (which is used for younger children) and modify it for him. This is like a star chart where he earns points. You can get examples on line or at a bookstore or engage the teacher in using progress sheets.
psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.