psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

Our 40 yr old daughter is in serious trouble (again) and we

Customer Question

Our 40 yr old daughter is in serious trouble (again) and we desperately need some advice. She is currently in Tulsa, OK and we'd like to get her involved in a drug/alcohol treatment facility asap. She was diagnosed at 15 yrs old with manic depressive bi-polar disorder and the past 25 years have been heartbreaking watching her self destruct, drinking, bar fights, abusive relationships, arrests, drugs, auto accidents, dysfunction and absolute chaos. Do you have any suggestions who we might call to initiate an intervention and get her in some place. We fear she is in imminent danger. We could fly her to our hometown, Phoenix, so she has a support group but realize she would have to agree to this. She's at such a low point right now that we may have a chance. Please help! Bill & Clare
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
I understand your feelings of frustration. Addiction alone is such a selfish disease. She can't be taken to a hospital against her will unless she is suicidal. But I would investigate anything in your state on interventions. Or you can call the Board that licenses professions in the mental health area for specific areas that are addressed by that professional with office locations. I understand you urgency but clients have to be willing so I would think outside the box to get her help. If you know the format of an intervention you may organize one yourself.