Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

my doctor got sick and left me hanging. now i can not find

my doctor got sick and left me hanging. now i can not find a dr. i am down to basically no meds. and going crazy trying to find a dr. to go to? I need help finding a decent dr. I live in Georgetown, near Palatka, any help? PLEASE? I really need help finding a doctor who doesn't make me come to them twice a week or twice a month, i am disabled. I also take xanax, which i am out of, been taking in small pieces.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

The problem you have is more common than you imagine. And I know how difficult it can be for a patient when this occurs. So let me suggest the most effective ways of taking care of this.

The first step is that you have to look at your insurance's list of psychiatrists in your area. Call the 800# XXXXX the back of your card and ask for the web address of the providers' list in your area. It's going to be a matter of calling quite a few because many psychiatrists aren't taking new patients and have long waiting times. So explain to the receptionist or the psychiatrist when you call the situation. Now here's the important part: even if you can't find after a few tries someone who will see you right away, make an appointment with one of the psychiatrists anyways. Because for the next steps you have to show you have an appointment.

Next, you make an appointment with your primary care physician (PCP). Most PCPs will fit you in around other patients if you explain that you have this pressing need. So do that with your doctor's scheduler. Ask him/her to renew your prescriptions to last temporarily until your appointment with the psychiatrist. That will show him/her your good faith effort in this.

If that isn't an option for you for whatever reason, here is the fall back position you need to take.

If you are down to about a 2 week supply or less, go to the emergency room of the big city hospital near you and talk to the physicians there and tell them of your situation and of your worries and ask them to give you an emergency prescription to last you until you can arrange to have a PCP for yourself. They may need to call in one of the hospital psychiatrists for this (which is why you needed the big city hospital that has a psychiatric ward). They will most often write a prescription for you to last till your appointment.

So these are the steps you need to take to make sure there is no interruption. Okay. I wish you the very best in this and I think you will find that taking this steps you will be successful!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice