Michael Jones, LMFT
Michael Jones, LMFT, Therapist
Experience:  Over 12 years experience as a therapist, both inpatient and outpatient. APA Board Certified.

I am pretty sure i am a hypochondriach. I jump from one health

I am pretty sure i am a hypochondriach. I jump from one health issue to another, mostly all are created by me. To me the issues are very real, but I overreact and get a fight or flight feeling, and I need to be seen for my issue asap! Then, I doubt weather or not the Dr I saw actually felt what I do, or was qualified to treat me. Is that hypochondia? And I totally obsess about one thing, even after the Dr said that its normal to fel what I do.

Example, doing a SBE which a breast specialist has even told me to stop doing, but I have been! So, last night I feel something, freak out and cannot sleep, immmediatly make an appt for today, Dr reassured me that its normal fiberous tissue Im feeling, and puts my fears at ease. But, I leave there then feeling like what if she didnt feel the same thing I did? And still obsess over this little thing! I want tools to stop this obsessive way of thinking! (I have had 3 normal breast exams in the last @ months).

I have 3 small children, and if there is anyway to start treating this at home that would be great! (today was also the last day of our health ins for # XXXXX

And when that issue gets puts to rest in my mind, there is instantly something else for me to obsess over! Its a horrible pattern, of me thinking I cannot enjoy what Im doing at the time unless I check all these "ailments" and make sure Im ok!

Any advise would be wonderfull!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Michael Jones, LMFT replied 3 years ago.

Michael Jones, LMFT :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I'm a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in California. I believe I can answer your question.

Michael Jones, LMFT :

Are you there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I am still online..
Based on your report, I agree you may be suffering from hypochondriasis. This disorder is one of the Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders, so I would first urge you to be assessed by a qualified clinician. They may find that there are other behaviors and thinking patterns on which you're stuck as well.
The treatments of choice for hypochondriasis are a combination of cognitive-behavioral therapy, stress management and medication.
The most effective treatment for anxiety disorders is cognitive-behavioral (CBT) psychotherapy. Alone or combined with medication it has a roughly 80% success rate in the literature. In CBT, you would be getting tools to use immediately to reduce the symptoms of hypochondriasis.
Stress management plays a vital role in the treatment of hypochondriasis as well. As one's stressors increase or remain at a consistently high level, the ruminations of hypochondriasis grow. Learning skills to manage daily stress is essential to managing your symptoms. And again, a cognitive-behavioral therapist can offer this training.
SSRI medications are considered effective psychotropic medications for hypochondriasis.
For self-guided treatment, I would start with It's Not All In Your Head. This is the link to the book on Amazon. It is a wonderfully helpful self-help book for hypochondriasis.
Have I answered your question? If so, please remember to click the Accept button and leave your feedback for me. Should you have additional questions in the future, you may always contact me here at Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you still there?
Yes I am still here. Did you receive my answer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX and I will accept. I have read about CBT, and are there any techniques I can start using now, vs waiting to see a thearapist?
There is no need to wait to see a therapist. I would recommend ordering this book, or one similar, and try using the techniques offered. Thank you so much and I wish you the best of luck. Again, you can always reach me through Just Answer.
Michael Jones, LMFT, Therapist
Experience: Over 12 years experience as a therapist, both inpatient and outpatient. APA Board Certified.