Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

I was sexually abused in my twenties by a man after which I

I was sexually abused in my twenties by a man after which I suffered more abuse, violence and heartache at the hands of other men. I have been living on my own for the past seven years and I thought I was more stable.
Recently I had a sexual encounter with a man I have known for a very long time. It was a beautiful experience. The problem is feeling something down below set me off and I felt angy afterwards and I just wanted to hurt myself.
I don't like being this way. What is wrong with me? Why can't I just be normal?
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am very sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. It seems to me that the sexual abuse that you suffered in your 20's has not left you. So now, even when you have and I'll quote you, " a sexual encounter with a man that was a beautiful experience" you still are experiencing problems from your past. I don't thimnk this will go away unless you get the right kind of therapy --- not from any therapist but from a therapist that has postgraduate education. This education trains therapists how to work through conflicts from the past that still hound one in the present. It helps work through what we call, Repetition Compulsion.
You should contact the British Psychoanalytic Society and ask them for a referral in your area.

http://www.psychoanalysis.org.uk/uklist.htm