BryonyShaw
BryonyShaw, Counsellor
Experience:  M.A CATC-IV
24839326

Ive been self harming for over a year now, only 2 people know

I've been self harming for over a year now, only 2 people know but they saw scars... i cant talk to anyone about it because i'd feel humiliated in a way, and awkward... and people would just think i'm a freak for doing this. Now the smallest things trigger it and recently I did it at school a few times because it helps me get through the day (as I'm failing quite a few subjects so school is really stressful)... I can't see a way out of this and it seems to be impossible to stop. but the thing which i think about the most are the scars... i have to wear a jumper in p.e which just means I boil... I don't know what I'm going to do in the summer, and I go on holiday every year. I would be so grateful if I can get some help. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  BryonyShaw replied 3 years ago.

BryonyShaw :

hi

BryonyShaw :

Thanks for asking your question. Sorry you are having a rough time of it.

Customer:

it's fine. i desperately want to stop, please could I have some advice/

BryonyShaw :

Are you right-handed?

Customer:

yeah

BryonyShaw :

Which arm has the scars, the right arm or left arm?

Customer:

left arm

BryonyShaw :

So, you when you are feeling bad, like you need to hurt yourself, take out an ice-cube and put it in your left hand. Hold it for as long as you can. By the time you either can't hold it any longer or it has melted, the urge to hurt yourself should have passed.

BryonyShaw :

Buy some cocoa oil for the scars...They will fade in time.

BryonyShaw :

Get into some kind of therapy. Sounds like it would help if you had someone to talk to.

BryonyShaw :

Hope this helps.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it helps too. i've been using bio oil for some of the scars but it doesn't look like they've faded. I don't know how long it will take.. also, where can you buy cocoa oil?

BryonyShaw :

You might have to order it online. I'm not sure Boots has it. ;-)

Customer:

ok thanks :)

BryonyShaw :

No problem. Take care of yourself.

BryonyShaw :

Bryony

BryonyShaw, Counsellor
Experience: M.A CATC-IV