Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

Why dont people believe me that Im smart. I was valedictorian

Why don't people believe me that I'm smart. I was valedictorian in high school, I made a 1320 out of 1600 on my SATs, a 30 out of 36 on my ACTs, and I have a degree from Tulane University. I feel like people will assume I'm an idiot in everyday life. They will assume that I don't know things that are really obvious. Like one guy, he was asking me if I knew what selfish meant. Obviously I would know what selfish means. All the people that I went to school with used to call me smart, but I feel like as I've gotten older, nobody calls me smart anymore. Or if I tell someone that someone messed up my order at a restaurant, they won't believe me, and they will assume that it must have been my mistake in the situation. I've overheard people calling me stupid behind my back. Please give me as many possibilities as you can as to why people wouldn't believe me that I'm smart and wouldn't call me smart anymore.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 3 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. I can see how frustrating these situations can be. Before answering your question, I have a few questions to ask. When you overhear other people say judgemental comments, what types of feelings are you experiencing? How do you express these feelings? Why is it so important for you to have other people think you are smart?

Customer:

I feel angry and hurt. Sometimes I lose my temper, but usually I keep my feelings bottled up. Academics has always been important to me. I feel like academics is the only thing I'm good at.

Brad The Therapist :

You mention that academics is the only thing you are good at. What aspects of your life do you wish you can improve?

Customer:

I want to become more social and develop some hobbies. I could become more athletic and maybe learn how to cook.

Brad The Therapist :

Great! these are great activities to engage in. Describe what "social" mean to you? do you feel that you don't have enough friends or meaningful relationships in your life?

Customer:

I've never had many friends. I guess I want to learn how to make friends. Some people make friends so easily. I want to acquire the skills necessary in developing and maintaining relationships.

Brad The Therapist :

Before discussing ways to develop friendships, I am wondering how previious relationships have ended for you.

Customer:

I'm very sensitive, so I end up taking everything the other person says personally, and so the relationship comes to an end.

Brad The Therapist :

Other than not being smart, what other things have people said that were hurtful?

Customer:

People have made fun of me on how I look, not being good at sports, being a loner, etc.

Brad The Therapist :

Even currently?

Brad The Therapist :

How do you find out about these things?

Brad The Therapist :

If you are still there, my recommendations for you at this point is to involve yourself into many diffierent activities that you prefer to be part of. For example, there may be adult education classes on cooking or learning how to play a sport, or a sports club where you sign up to be part of a team.

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.