How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question

TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5784
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, 11 y/o, has been having behavior issues at school for

Customer Question

My son, 11 y/o, has been having behavior issues at school for three years. He would make inappropriate comments to classmates, sometimes to adults. He has been said touching people without permission, made threatening comments although he was never intended to do those things. He is easily agitated, has difficulty staying in sleep, would get up and walk to other bedrooms mid of night several times a week, esp. after he gets to bed earlier like before 10 pm. Will seeing a psychiatrist help him. Will he improve?
Big thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


Yes, with treatment your son should improve. Depending on his diagnosis, he may only need short term treatment. Once he has an evaluation done, you will have a better idea of what is going on. The therapist will be able to tell you what type of treatment and the duration that will best help your son.


You can make an appointment with a Master's Level therapist. A therapist can do a complete evaluation on your son and determine his diagnosis and treatment plan. A therapist with M.Ed, MA or MSW can help your son. A psychiatrist, on the other hand, is a doctor who specializes in psychiatric disorders and prescribes medications. They can do therapy, but they mostly prescribe. At this point, there is no way to tell if your son would need medications until he has an evaluation completed. So a Master's Level therapist is probably the best option to start with.


To find a therapist for your son, contact his doctor. They can provide a referral. Also you can search on line at Be sure to search for a therapist that works with children.


I hope this helped you,

Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

I haven't heard from you. Do you have any other questions or want clarification?



Related Mental Health Questions