Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

Hello i have a child she is six years old,sometimes she writes

Hello i have a child she is six years old,sometimes she writes 9 as P and when i tell her a word she knows which is the first letter.also if i say hat she remembers at but not hat.can she be dyslexic
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I have a few questions about your child before I provide recommendations. How was your pregnancy? did you have any complications during birth of your daughter? Did she have difficulties meeting her developmental milestones such as crawling, walking, speech, potty training, and forming sentences? Is she currently in kindergarten or 1st grade? If so what has her teachers say about her academic performance so far? Your responses on these questions will better help me to formulate recommendations.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MY PREGNANCY WAS NORMAL WITH NO COMPICATIONS.SHE HAS NOT ANY COMPICATIONS .SHE IS IN GRADE 1

Has her teacher's recommended any achievement testing for a learning disability such as dyslexia. If you are writing from the U.S., you may be able to request an Individualized Education Plan (I.E.P) to have your daughter tested for academic achievement. There, a school psychologist would be able to make a determination regarding any learning disabilities and make recommendations.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO SHE JUST TOLD TO HELP HER TELLING THE WORDS I AM ONLY ASKING IF SHE MIGHT HAVE DYSLEXIA OR SHE IS TO YOUNG TO KNOW
It is possible, but the only way to be sure is through psychological testing. this can be done at her current school or through a psychologist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
BUT CAN SHE HAS DYSLEXIA IF SHE WILL SAY SOME WORDS WHEN I SPELL THEM TO HER.AND WHAT ARE THE SIGNS THAT I HAVE TO LOOK AT BECAUSE AT SCHOOL THEY TOLD ME TO WAIT TILL SHE BE GRADE 3

Here are the following symptoms to look out for: delays in speech, slow learning of new words, difficulty in rhyming words, as in nursery rhymes, low letter knowledge, and letter reversal or mirror writing. Although her teachers discouraged testing until the 3rd grade, I urge you to advocate for your daughter to be tested. The sooner you catch this, the better the outcome will be as children learn language easily during the early years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THE ONLY SIGNS THAT I SEE THAT YOU MENTIONED ARE THAT SHE SOMETIMES MIXED D WITH B.THE OTHERS NO BECAUSE SHE KNOWS THE LETTERS OF THE ALPHAPHET AND NUMBERS.

Great. How is she doing in terms of her grades at school? Please let me know if I have been able to answer your questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
AT SCHOOL THE TEACHER TOLD ME SHE IS OK SHE IS LIKE A BIG LADY BECAUSE SHE UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING SHE TOLD HER AND HELP HER A LOT.THAT IS WHY SHE WORRIED A BIT BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT THAT SHE WILL BE THE FIRST ONE THAT STARTS READING.SHE TOLD ME THAT MAY BE AS SHE STARTS TO SOUND THE LAST TWO WORDS MAY BE SHE STARTS READING AS WELL.IF I TELL HER A WORD AND THEN ASK HER WHAT IS THE FIRST WORD SHE TOLD ME QUICKLY
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
CAN CHILDREN WITH DYSLEXIA LEARN TO WRITE AND READ
Depending on the severity of the dyslexia, children can learn to read and write. Once an assessment is completed, a psychologist should be able to pin exactly a children's current weaknesses and strengths. From there, recommendations are made to increase a child's ability to read or write. Accommodations will most likely be recommended so that a child with dyslexia have a note taker, extra time to take tests, etc, whatever the child needs to be successful in the classroom. Early intervention is key and that is why I urge you to have your child tested.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but if she starts reading few words aftershe spell them like cat fat etc.and write them down on a paper.what do you think. it is better to speak to a psychologist to be sure or may be she can then start reading other words
That is correct. If she starts reading few words, spell them and write them correctly, this may mean that your daughter may just had a slow start but rapidly catching up, for have a slight case of dyslexia. Nonetheless, I would meet with a psychologist and get your daughter tested. I cannot emphasize how important early intervention is for any learning disability. The sooner you can intervene, more successful the intervention will be. Your daughter has a fast learning curve so I am hopeful of her future, especially when she has a very dedicated mother.
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults